Call or email us anytime
(805) 484-0333
Search Guide
Today is Thursday, June 20, 2024 -

Industry Insights

Moore: Reciprocity Adds Authority

  • National

A recent question on workers' compensation adjuster licenses was emailed to me two weeks ago:

James Moore

James Moore

I have just passed my licensing exam in Georgia to handle workers' compensation claims.  Do I have to take a test for each state to adjust claims outside of my home state?   

Most states allow out-of-state adjusters to adjust claims, but it is not automatic. Do not adjust claims in states where you do not have the authority to do so, or you may end up in quite a bind. You do not want your name listed in an insurance department publication where you have had your license revoked in your home state. Not good.

The following states have reciprocity with Georgia: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and West Virginia.

Some licensing rules and suggestions with reciprocity

Some of the concerns with workers' comp adjuster licenses (P&C licenses) include:

  • Must have a valid, up-to-date license in your home state.
  • If your home state does not have a licensing requirement, there is no license authority to reciprocate — a very complicated situation. Check with your home state’s insurance department to see how to proceed.
  • Pay a yearly fee to the out-of-state insurance department.
  • Adjust the same lines of insurance as permitted with your home state license; an all-lines license is always preferable.
  • Not all states, such as California, allow reciprocal licensing; check carefully before adjusting any claims.
  • Many states will allow licensed claims adjusters from other states to adjust with no license if the state’s insurance department waives the requirement during a catastrophe. One caveat: You cannot adjust lines of insurance that are different than your home state license.

Websites assist with out-of-state comp licenses

I have used Sircon with success. Most reciprocating states allow online applications that speed up the licensing process to a few days. 

Another recommended website to see a map of reciprocity can be found here. Check out how you can reciprocate your license if you have a Texas or Florida workers' comp adjuster license by obtaining a DHS license from those states.

Regardless, it is always best to have an all-lines license. It adds value to your career, such as obtaining your AIC or ARM designations.

This blog post is provided by James Moore, AIC, MBA, ChFC, ARM, and is republished with permission from J&L Risk Management Consultants. Visit the full website at

No Comments

Log in to post a comment


Do not post libelous remarks. You are solely responsible for the postings you input. By posting here you agree to hold harmless and indemnify WorkCompCentral for any damages and actions your post may cause.


Upcoming Events

  • Jun 20-23, 2024

    California Applicants' Attorne

    Attendee Registration Opens Tuesday, April 9th @ 9:30 AM Sponsorships & Exhibitor Applications …

  • Jul 29 – Aug 2, 2024

    76th Annual SAWCA Convention

    SAVE THE DATE! 76th Annual SAWCA Convention July 29 – August 2, 2024 Hotel Effie Sandestin 1 Grand …

  • Aug 14-17, 2024

    CSIMS 2024 Annual Dual Track C

    California Society of Industrial Medicine and Surgery (CSIMS) is combining its two conferences, PI …

Workers' Compensation Events

Social Media Links

c/o Business Insurance Holdings, Inc.
PO Box 1010
Greenwich, CT 06836
(805) 484-0333